Raymond G. Weber, age 89, of Erie, passed away Sunday, May 6, 2012, at his residence.
He was born in Erie, Pa., on July 12, 1922, a son of the late Harry H. and Zoe E. Jackson Weber.
He attended public schools in Erie, graduating from Strong Vincent High School in February, 1940. He attended Erie Business College and Gannon College night schools.
He served in glider infantry regiments in the 17th and 82nd Airborne Divisions in the European Theater of Operations during World War II, attaining the rank of sergeant.
From 1940 until entering the military service early in 1943, he was employed by the Bliley Electric Company in Erie as a product calibrator. He returned there in 1946 after being honorably discharged from the Army, and became a time study technician.
In 1947, he became an industrial wood products sales representative and later sales manager for Irwin Manufacturing in Garland, Pa., and resided in Youngsville, Pa.
He went to work for Deluxe Metal Furniture Company in Warren, Pa., in 1950 as a time study technician and was named personnel manager the following year.
From 1952 until 1971, he was Director of Personnel for the Ajax Iron Works in Corry, Pa., which later became a division of Cooper Industries.
In July of 1971, he was named Executive Director and Secretary of the Manufacturers Association of Erie, which during his tenure, became the Manufacturers Association of Northwest Pa.
Following his retirement in 1987, he and his wife moved to Ft. Myers, Fla., and for several years spent summers at their cottage in Findley Lake, N.Y. They returned to Erie in November of 2001.
Active in community affairs throughout his working career, he helped organize and served as the first president of the Youngsville, Pa., Kiwanis Club. In Corry, Pa., he was a city councilman for eight years, and later served the city as a consultant in its public employee contract negotiations and arbitration procedures.
He was also chairman of the Municipal Authority, which was the financing agency for the sewage treatment system and North Hills municipal golf course. He was a past president of the Corry Chamber of Commerce, the Kiwanis Club and the Corry Area United Fund and served a six year term as a director of the YMCA.
He was a member of the Corry Country Club, Elks Club and the Northwestern Pennsylvania Personnel Association.
During his years with the Manufacturers Association, he was active in many business, civic, educational, fraternal and professional organizations. He was instrumental in the founding of Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week and its administrative organization, the Foundation for Free Enterprise Education, which he served as a board member and past president.
He also served as a director of Blue Cross of Western Pa., Erie Chapter of the American Red Cross, WQLN Public Broadcasting where he was chairman in 1986, United Way of Erie County, Foundation for Free Enterprise Education, Americans for the Competitive Enterprise System, and the Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce.
He was a member of the Erie Business Center Scholarship Committee. He served on the advisory boards of Edinboro University, Mercyhurst College President's Associates; Gannon University Small Business Development Center and its University Colleges Council and Engineering Council, Penn State/Behrend College Quality Control Institute and its Energy/Environmental groups and Economic Research Institute of Erie, and Erie City and County Vocational Schools.
He was chairman of the Penn State/Behrend College's Ben Franklin Partnership Satellite and the Regional Occupational Skill Center Advisory Board. He was a member of the Boards of Incorporators of Pennsylvania Blue Shield and Saint Vincent Foundation for Health and Human Services.
He was a past member of the Erie Club, the former University Club of Erie, the Rotary Club of Erie, the Erie Chapter of the Newcomen Society, the American Society of Association Executives, and the Northwest Pennsylvania Personnel Association.
He was a member of Perry Lodge No. 392 F.&A.M., Valley of Erie, Scottish Rite Bodies and Zem Zem Temple Shrine.
Following his retirement in 1987, he was elected to the board of directors of the East Erie Commercial Railroad.
Ray was also devoted to church activities, serving as a trustee and Sunday school superintendent at the First Presbyterian Church in Corry, Pa., and a member of church councils at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Erie and St. Peter Lutheran Church in Ft. Myers Beach, Fla. He served as council president for several years in both churches. After returning to Erie, he became a member of St. John's Lutheran Church, and later transferred to Wayside Presbyterian Church.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife of 61 years, Elma Oesterlin Weber, in 2004; a son, David R. Weber, in 2011; and a brother, Harold J. Weber, in 1969.
Survivors include a son, Douglas R. Weber and his wife, Janet (Jill), and daughter-in-law, Leslie M. Weber, all of Erie; a brother, Richard K. Weber and his wife, Margaret of Diamondhead, Miss.; three grandchildren, Nicholas, Ashley and Brittany Weber; and several nieces and nephews.
Friends will be received on Tuesday, May 22, 2012, at the Wayside Presbyterian Church, 1208 Asbury Road, Erie, from 2 p.m. until the time of the memorial service at 3 p.m. with the Reverend James Haas officiating.
Burial will be in Laurel Hill Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Foundation for Free Enterprise Education (Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week), 3076 West 12th Street, Erie, PA 16505; WQLN, 8425 Peach Street, Erie PA 16509; Corry YMCA, 906 N. Center St., Corry, PA 16407; or Wayside Presbyterian Church, 1208 Asbury Road, Erie PA 16505.
Arrangements are entrusted to the Burton Westlake Funeral Home, 3801 West 26th Street, Erie.
Send condolences at www.Burtonfuneralhome.com.