CLYMER, N.Y. — A wood stove is suspected to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a Clymer home Tuesday afternoon at about 2 p.m.

Four fire companies were called to 1584 Tenhaken Road, the home of Laura Cochran and her husband, Lyle. The home was being rented by two Amish men, Laura Cochran said.

Cochran, who lives next door, said she called the fire department.

"I called it in when I saw flames coming out of the back of the house," she said.

Clymer Volunteer Fire Chief Ed Faulkner said there was heavy smoke and fire coming out of the front of the structure when fire crews arrived.

Cochran said she was surprised at how fast firefighters arrived and said the house has been a part of the family for many years.

"The house used to belong to my mother-in-law," she said. "It's over 80 years old, and has been getting renovated and passed down through generations." 

Cochran said the house is insured, and that she is familiar to structure fires, as they lost their home to a fire about 34 years ago.

"It's an old home so it doesn't take long for it to go," she said.

Faulkner said the home is a total loss.

Faulkner said no one was in the building at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.

"We believe it was caused by a wood stove," he said.

Firefighters from Findley Lake, Sherman and Panama fire departments assisted the Clymer Volunteer Fire Department in battling the blaze.

Crews were back in service at 5 p.m. 

 

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.