CONCORD TOWNSHIP — Three family members escaped unharmed when a candle sparked a fire in their Concord Township home Monday morning.

Elgin-Beaverdam Hose Co. responded to the Jeremy and Sarah Kusiak residence, 11122 Concord Road, at 9:20 a.m., when the fire started in an upstairs bathroom and spread to the attic area.

Elgin-Beaverdam Hose Co. Fire Chief McCray said the fire has been ruled accidental in nature.

No injuries were reported.

McCray said the electrical power was out at some homes in the area, and around 6 a.m., one of the Kusiaks’ three daughters lit a candle in the bathroom for light. When the girl later left, she forgot to extinguish the candle.

The candle, which was in a glass container or on a glass candle holder, kept burning until it started a fire.

“It tipped over or was low enough it cracked the glass and caught something on fire,” McCray said.

McCray said he does not know how long the fire had been burning before firefighters were called.

“The first firefighter on scene saw smoke showing from the second floor,” McCray said.

McCray called Corry Fire Department, and volunteers from Union City and Spartansburg to assist at the scene. Wattsburg Hose Co. was on standby for Elgin at Wattsburg’s station.

Jeremy Kusiak was not home at the time of the fire.

The smoke alerted two other daughters, ages 14 and 12, who were asleep in the upstairs. McCray said the girls used the right method to escape safely.

“The smoke woke them up and they got down on the floor and crawled out and down the stairway,” McCray said. “They yelled to their mom while they were going down the stairs.”

McCray said all three occupants got out of the home safely.

The fire was contained to the bathroom and the attic area of the two-story home, McCray said.

“I think the best thing is that the fire stayed contained to both areas,” he said.

McCray said the firefighters made an “excellent stop,” and checked the house thoroughly for hidden hot spots before leaving the scene.

“We took our time on the overhaul,” McCray said. “We wanted to make sure we wouldn’t have to go back.”

McCray said the home sustained fire, smoke and water damage to the second floor. He said the family is staying with relatives.

Corry Fire Department was back in service at 11:11 a.m.

Elgin-Beaverdam Hose Co. was back in service at about noon.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.