Now that the weather is turning colder and the holidays are upon us, it’s time to think safety.

If you heat with a fireplace or wood-burning stove, don’t forget to keep those chimneys and pipes cleaned out.

Corry Fire Department Chief Dan Flick recommends having a professional check your chimney, where a buildup of creosote could result in a fire.

And before the Thanksgiving Day turkey leftovers are gone, Christmas lights and other decorations go on display.

When using anything that requires plugging a cord into an electrical outlet, be on the safe side, Flick said.

“Don’t overload your outlets and extension cords,” Flick said. “And make sure the cords are good and

See Wednesday, November 30, 2011 issue of The Journal for complete story.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.