Mother’s Day cake decorating event
• Sander’s Markets will host a Mother’s Day cake decorating event on Saturday from noon to 2 p.m. Children 10 and younger are invited to decorate a 5-inch cake for their mom. Cost is $3.99 per cake. A parent or guardian must be present.
Rummage, bake sale
• A rummage and bake sale will be held on Friday, May 6, and Saturday, May 7, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Wayne Valley United Methodist Church, located on Route 89, about 1.5 miles north of Route 6. All proceeds from the sale will go toward the Jewell family who lost their home to a fire.
Free comic book day
• The Corry Public Library will hold a free comic book day on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Area residents are being invited to stop in for a free comic and a chance to win a superhero raffle. Check-out extra materials to win additional comic books.
Ham, leek dinner
• A ham and leek dinner will be served on Saturday, May 14, from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Spring Creek Fire Hall, located on Route 426, about seven miles east of Corry. Cost is $10 for adults, $5 for children ages 6 through 12 and free for children ages 5 and under. The meal will be served buffet style and homemade desserts will be available. Takeouts will also be offered. This event is being sponsored by the West Spring Creek Congregational Church.
Sit and Be Fit cancelled Thursday
• Thursday morning’s Sit and Be Fit chair exercise class will be cancelled due to a rummage sale that is being held at the Presbyterian Church, 607 W. Smith St., Corry. This class will resume on Monday at 10 a.m.
Zonta meat raffle tickets
• The Zonta Club of the Corry Area is hosting a meat raffle fundraiser. Zonta members are selling tickets for $400 worth of meat from Neckers Company General Store in Clymer, N.Y. The drawing will be held May 24. The winner does not have to take the entire $400 worth of meat at one time. Tickets are $5 each. Tickets may be purchased from any Zonta member or by calling 663-0292. Tickets are also available at the office of The Corry Journal, 28 W. South St.
Civil War presentation
• During the Civil War, men from Erie, Crawford and Warren counties were organized into the Union Army’s 145th Regiment to fight. The Corry Higher Education Council and presenter George Deutsch on Thursday evening, May 19, are offering the presentation, “Baptized in Blood – the 145th Regiment of Erie County.” Deutsch will outline the regiment’s harrowing story, from Antietam to Fredericksburg and beyond. Deutsch has been involved in teaching about and preserving Erie County’s Civil War history for more than 30 years. Registration and payment for the $5 workshop are required by noon Tuesday, May 17. Seating is limited. Contact the Hi-Ed at 664-9405.