The Corry Historical Society held its July meeting on Tuesday at the meeting rooms in the Corry Historical Museum.
The speaker for the evening was John Silvis, who spoke about the old one-room schoolhouses that many people from the Corry area attended.
At one time, there were over 30 of these learning facilities, the majority of them closing in the early part of the 1900's.
Among those facilities were Daytown, Coil, Red Oak, Trimm, Tubbs, Picadilli, Lindsey, Summit, Harbour Half, Dean. Enterprise, Oxbow, Hemlock, Miller, Donaton, Mertz Comers, Carter Hill, Wheelock, Steadman, Spencer, Sciota, Greely, Tillotson, Sample Flats, Blue Eye, Doane, Hudson, Colegrove, Miffitt, McCray, Eastman, Harding, and Main Street.
There may have been others as welI that have been forgotten over the years. Over the years, these buildings have been torn down, moved to different locations or left to decay. But many have become homes, and some are used today for storage purposes.
None of these schools had indoor plumbing or water supplies. Water was carried to the classroom each day and stored there in a big crock or barrel. The students shared the same dipper, and probably the same childhood diseases. The bathrooms were located near the back of the property.
The majority of these schools were owned by the township that they were located in, or by the people on whose property they were located. Harding School is still owned by the Corry Schoolhouse District and presently houses a school museum with artifacts from the Historical Museum.
Silvis showed numerous pictures of classes from over the years, and the group in attendance had fun picking out former classmates, teachers, neighbors and friends.
The regular business meeting was conducted with the secretary's and treasurer's reports given and approved as read.
It was reported that a number of Corry items has been given to the museum by James Bates, including a salesman's price list for the Barlow Hardware from 1904, a Junior High yearbook from 1930, Climax engine bills of sale from 1891 and 1896, a Corry city newspaper from 1863, a thank-you from a buyer of a Climax engine from 1897, an ad for the Oregon Indian Medicine Co. from 1898, a price list from Corry Hide and Fur, two pictures of the City Building fire in 1919, and numerous pictures from various Corry businesses from the early part of the 1900's.
The museum also received a mannequin complete with uniform from the VFW. The uniform belonged to Archie Thompson.
A tray with the Pennsylvania Game Commission logo was donated by Jim Myers, and a crocheted dress made by Antoinette Baressi was given to the museum by her sister, Jeanette Moses.
It was reported that work will begin on Monday to repair the windows in the storage area in the main museum. This area is not accessible to the public but holds a number of items pertinent to the museum.
The solid wall of windows which is caving in will be replaced by much smaller windows with the capability of being opened for ventilation purposes, containing low-E glass. The walls will then be resided in a material that is aesthetically pleasing and compliments the rest of the building.
Beginning July 22, the summer school program students will have tours of the museum.
August 8 is Glenn Mead Day, and items are needed from the members for the Chinese auction. The next meeting will be August 11, beginning at 6 p.m. with a tureen dinner.
Those of the membership who have reached the four-score and twenty milestone will be honored.