Women’s Support Group
• Members of the Women’s Support Group will meet on Wednesday, June 12, from 7 to 8 p.m. in the public meeting room of Corry Memorial Hospital, an affiliate of LECOM Health. The group will be assembling and painting bird houses. Participants are being asked to bring all needed supplies. Birdhouses are available at Home Depot.
• Corry Area Lions Club members will be holding a bake sale auction on Sunday, June 16, at 1 p.m. during CorryFest at their booth in Corry City Park (near the gazebo). Larry Ploss will be the auctioneer. The club is taking donations of baked goods that day, beginning at 10 a.m. Donors are being asked to take items to the Lions Club booth. All proceeds will benefit the medical expenses for Mikey Watrous, 7, who has been diagnosed with Goldenhar Syndrome. Mikey is the son of Mike and Kerrin Watrous.
Northern Pennsylvania Regional College Info Session
• Northern Pennsylvania Regional College will be holding an Information Session at the Corry Higher Education Council on Tuesday, June 25, at 5:30 p.m. Pre-registration is not required. Join Student Success Specialist Amy Rowe to learn about the post-secondary or dual enrollment opportunities NPRC can provide you right in your community. The session will cover information including cost of classes, degrees offered, application requirements and how to apply. Call 814-230-9010 or visit regionalcollegepa.org for additional information.
• Nominations and elections for Corry American Legion Post 365 Auxiliary will be held today at 7 p.m. All interested are being asked to attend.
• College scholarships for adults age 25 and older living in the Corry, Union City and Clymer school districts are available through the Corry Higher Education Council. Applicants must be planning to attend a college, university or technical school in the 2019-20 school year, and be age 25 or older by Sept. 1, 2019. Five different scholarship funds totaling $9,500 are available. The applications are available at the Hi-Ed, 221 N. Center St., Corry, or can be printed from the organization’s website at corryhied.org. The application deadline is 2 p.m. Friday, June 28. For more information call Brody Howard at 664-9405.
JES Satellite Series: Made in Erie County
• Carmakers, brewers, commercial fishermen, manufacturers after the Titusville oil boom, and metal and plastic molders are among the many people, industries, and products that shaped Erie County in the 19th and 20th centuries. “Made in Erie County: Creations and Products that Made Erie County a Success”, offers a look at how Erie County grew into a manufacturing giant, fueled by immigration and ingenuity. This two-part lecture series (pre-Civil War, post-Civil War) will be led by Judith Lynch, Ph.D., board member and first chairwoman of the Jefferson Educational Society. She is the Jefferson's inaugural Decadean Scholar. Lynch has served as Associate Professor of Political Science and History at Mercyhurst University, taught at Allegheny College and was part of the Civic Engagement Institute. Prior, she worked as an analyst for the CIA and served for 20 years as Erie County Executive. This free presentation is part of the JES Satellite Series to be held at the Corry Higher Education Council on Thursday, June 20 & Thursday, July 18 from 7-8:30 p.m. Registration is required by noon on Tuesday, June 18. Call the Hi-Ed at 664-9405.
• The July Community Calendar will be published in the Saturday, June 29, edition of The Corry Journal. Deadline for submissions is Thursday, June 27. Items may be dropped off or mailed to The Corry Journal, 28 W. South St., Corry, PA 16407, or faxed to 664-2288 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.