• A daughter, Temperance Carleigh Fargo, was born Feb. 24, 2015, at Well Span York Hospital in York, Pennsylvania, to Joshua and Stepfanie (Skinner) Fargo of Hanover, Pennsylvania. Paternal grandparents are Larry and Julie Fargo of Corry. Maternal grandparents are Jerry and Ronda Stutler of Columbus, and the late Carl Skinner. Temperance joins a sister, Juliet Ansleigh, 3.
Women’s Support Group
• Women’s Support Group meets today from 6 to 8 pm. in the public meeting room of Corry Memorial Hospital. The group will be decorating Easter eggs.
• An all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet will be held on Sunday from 8 to 11 am. at the VFW in Corry. Proceeds will benefit the Radio Amateurs of Corry.
• The Corry Area Food Pantry will hold its monthly food distribution on Friday from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Participants are being asked not to block driveways and to not line up before 8:30 a.m. Police will be patrolling the area. Participants that line up before 8:30 a.m. will be asked to leave.
Cooking for crowds
• Organizations that find themselves preparing food for larger groups are the target of a “Cooking for Crowds” workshop being offered by Penn State Cooperative Extension and the Corry Higher Education Council. “Cooking for Crowds” covers such topics as how food becomes unsafe, preparation practices to keep it safe, and purchasing and storage of food and supplies. Although geared for volunteers, those working in food establishments will also find the information beneficial. The workshop will be held Monday, April 6, from 6 to 9 p.m. The cost is $50 per organization, and up to five individuals from each organization may participate. Registration and payment are required by noon Thursday, April 2. Call the Hi-Ed at 664-9405.
Tapping into Gmail
• Many people use Gmail for their email, but few are aware of or use all the features available to manage their email. The Corry Higher Education Council is offering a hands-on “Getting the Most from Gmail” workshop in its computer lab on Tuesday, April 7, from 6 to 8 pm. Participants must have a working Gmail account and know their password for the class. Registration and payment for the $19 workshop are required by noon Thursday, April 2. Call the Hi-Ed at 664-9405.
Local grant workshop
• Understanding how community groups, organizations and nonprofits can apply for grants from local foundations is the topic of a “Local Grantwriting for Nonprofit Groups & Organizations” workshop being offered by the Corry Higher Education Council. Hi-Ed Executive Director Steve Bishop directs the workshop, which focuses on an overview of which nonprofits and organizations are typically eligible for funding, identifying the local foundations’ preferred areas of concentration, and reviewing their application deadlines, application formats, and sample completed applications. The $10 workshop will be held Tuesday, April 7, from 6 to 8 p.m. Registration and payment are required by noon Thursday, April 2. Call the Hi-Ed at 664-9405.
• The April Community Calendar will be published in the March 28 edition of The Corry Journal. Deadline for submissions is Thursday, March 26. Items may be mailed to The Corry Journal, 28 W. South St., Corry, PA 16407, or faxed to 664-2288 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.