Safe Horizons domestic abuse shelter will hold a 50-hour volunteer training during October and November at the Union City First United Methodist Church.
Training dates and times are Oct. 26-29, Nov. 2-5 and Nov. 7 from 5 to 9 p.m.
Some of the topics will include:
• the history of the battered women’s movement, Safe Horizons, and the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
• the dynamics and awareness issues of abuse: the myths, why victims stay, power and control, the effects on children, and drug and alcohol myths.
• skill development: empowerment and options counseling advocacy, goals, group techniques, hotline, safety planning and confidentiality.
• processes: victimization, leaving, healing.
• Safe Horizons services and community resources.
• Protection From Abuse orders and legal advocacy.
To register for the training, and to ultimately be a Safe Horizons volunteer, call 438-2675. Michelle will be the program trainer.