• Emmanuel Episcopal Church will hold a Celtic-style worship service on Sunday, Aug. 18, at 4 p.m. This service encourages contemplation, silent prayer, wonder at God's grace and creation, and helping leave daily stress and cares behind. Healing prayer is offered following worship for those who request it. For information, call 8 14-335-7535. This is a monthly worship.
• The Corry Area Food Pantry will hold its monthly distribution on Friday, Aug. 16, from 9 to 11 a.m. Participants are being asked not to line up before 8:30a .m. and to have space in vehicles available for the boxes.
CCF grant deadline
• Corry Community Foundation Standard and MinGrant applications are due by Sunday, Sept. 1. Applications and helpful videos are available at www.corrycommunityfoundation.org/grantseekers.
Thursday in the Park
• Dennis Ford will perform today at 7 p.m. in the Corry City Park gazebo as part of the Thursday in the Park summer concert series. Audience members are encouraged to bring a chair or blanket. This event is presented annually by the Corry Area Arts Council. In the event of inclement weather, an alternate location will be announced via the council's Facebook page or on its website, CorryAreaArtsCouncil.com.
Senior driving class
• A Seniors for Safe Driving Class will be held on Monday, Sept. 9, at the Corry Senior Center. A refresher class will be offered from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and a standard class will be offered from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 800-559-4880 to sign up. Cost is $16 per adult. Those who complete this course are eligible for a discount on their car insurance.
Spartansburg 5K race
• An annual Spartansburg Fair 5K Race will be held on Monday, Sept. 2, at 5 p.m. at the Spartansburg Fairgrounds, located on Jefferson Street. Preregistration cost is $10 and money is due by Sunday, Aug. 25. Price includes race entry and a T-shirt. Registration cost after the deadline is $15 with no guarantee of a race T-shirt. Checks may be made payable to the Spartansburg Fair Association. For an entry form, log onto www.spartansburgcommunityfair.com. Instructions on how to mail in forms are provided on the registration form. Entry forms are also included in this year’s fair book. Fair admission is not included. Participants over 12 years old must purchase an admission ticket.
• The Union City community is encouraged to join First United Methodist Church for a back-to-school prayer walk at 6 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 18. The walk will begin at Union City Elementary School and proceed to Bears Stadium, Union City Area Middle/High School and the Administration Office. Walkers willp ray for everyone and everything that has to do with the Union City Area School District.
• An annual pig roast will be held on Saturday, Aug. 24, at 6 p.m. at the Spring Creek Sportsman’s Club.
• Storytime by the Corry Public Library will be held Friday from 10:30 to 11 a.m. at Corry City Park during the Farmers Market.
September Community Calendar
• The September Community Calendar will be published in the Saturday, Aug. 31, edition of The Corry Journal. Deadline for submissions is Thursday, Aug. 29. Items may be dropped off or mailed to The Corry Journal, 28 W. South St., Corry, PA 16407, or faxed to 664-2288 or emailed to email@example.com.