On Sept. 2, 2000, my wife, Anna, gave birth to my daughter, Brooke. It was a pretty normal pregnancy and as that day approached, my excitement grew.  

It was the big day and I sat in the hospital room with Anna at the old Corry Hospital and after a many long hours, Brooke was born.  

It’s a good day just like that! Thank you, God!

As you can imagine, having a new baby was exciting but it caused me to be very stressed, and the best way for me to relax is to go fishing … 

The next day, I was in the recovery room with Anna and she wanted to take a nap, so I told her I would leave for a couple of hours and go hit a bass pond in Spring Creek. She gave me the thumbs up.  

As I was getting ready to leave, I told her that I was going to catch a wall mount.  Anna asked what that was and I explained that it’s a bass big enough to mount and put on the wall.  Keep in mind that I had never caught a fish big enough to put on any wall, so this was crazy talk on my part. Off I went!

It was a cool September evening, about 6 p.m. and the pond was ripe for the picking. I started catching bass immediately with a spinner bait and it was a great time. I wore my hip boots and walked into the pond about 3 feet so I could get a little closer to some of the hot spots.  

The birds were chirping and after a couple of hours I began to feel a little guilty about having so much fun while my wife was recovering from emergency surgery in the hospital.  

As I was saying “last cast” for the 10th time, I saw a huge bass jump into the air. I began casting my bait in that direction to no avail. But the bass kept jumping and he was getting closer to me. I walked to my left and threw the next cast towards it and no bite. I need to leave but this fish is hungry! What do I do?

The bass was swimming at the top of the water and his top fin was hanging out of the water like a shark. I walked towards him even closer and the bass literally swam between my legs. I looked down and it was big.  Why is it swimming up to me?

And then it dawned on me, this is the wall mount!   I reached down and opened his mouth and picked him up with my bare hand.  


I walked to the car and put it in the back seat and headed for the hospital to tell Anna.  When I arrived, she asked me how I did. I told her that I caught a dozen bass and I caught the wall mount. Really? Yes, really! I went out to the car and held it up so she could see it out of the hospital window.  

When I got back into her room, she asked me what bait I used to catch it. I explained that I didn’t use any bait. When it was time for me to leave, the bass swam up to me and opened its mouth and I picked it up and headed for the car. WOW! That doesn’t happen every day.  

Today, the bass is mounted and sits on our fireplace in the living room, as a memory to that day when God brought a beautiful little girl into this world, and made sure everyone was OK.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.